Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cooking Comfort Food

I am one of those people who love summer and would just as soon skip the winter weather.  I do know that it serves a purpose, but that doesn't keep me from wanting it to get warm!  We had 2 snow days last week and another snow day yesterday.  Snow days make me want comfort food.  Although it isn't the healthiest, it sure does taste great!  So for dinner last night, I made Southern Chicken Biscuits!
Fried Chicken Tenders
Fried Chicken Tenders
 I thawed out skinless boneless chicken breast and cut each into 3 nice size tenders.  In bowl number 1, I put about a cup of flour.  In bowl number 2, I combined  2 large eggs and a tablespoon of water.  In bowl number 3, I combined about 2 1/2 cups of Italian seasoned bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper. I preheated oil in my deep fryer to 375*. I dipped the chicken in the flour, then the egg mixture, and then rolled it in the breadcrumb mixture.  I placed a few chicken tenders in the fryer basket and fried them for about 7 minutes.  I hardly ever fry food, but when I do, I like to wear an apron.  It helps keep the popping grease from splattering on my clothes. While the chicken was frying, I baked grand sized canned biscuits.  I like to make biscuits from scratch, but I had two cans that were about to expire, so I used those.  When the chicken is finished cooking, turn the basket of  tenders out on a plate layered with paper towels so the excess oil can drain off.  When the biscuits are ready, slice them in half.  Add butter to both halves and drizzle with honey.  Put a chicken tender on one biscuit half and top with the other.  The little bit of spice that the cayenne pepper adds compliments the butter and honey to make a great tasting sandwich!  Needless to say, my guys love these!

When my kids were little, they liked to help cook.  Bronx likes to help me cook now, when he is here.

 The Crazy Dazy offers adorable kid sized aprons.  There is even a Monkey apron for boys!  Stephen Joseph offers many great girl apron designs.


Check out the Ice Cream Quilted Apron and the matching Ice Cream Play Cooking Set.  The cooking set comes with a kid sized bowl, wooden spoon, oven mitt, and rolling pin! Check them out today and get started cooking with your young one!

No comments: